New Hall, Dymchurch
The New Hall in Dymchurch dates back to the time when Dymchurch was once the headquarters for law and order on the Marsh; the name Dymchurch derives from Deme, mediaeval English for judge or arbiter. It was here where the governors of the Marsh resided (known as The Lord of the Level), and where swift justice was administered to anyone endangering the wellbeing of the Marsh
Today, the hall houses a museum displaying many interesting relics and antiques, and the old gaol. The last court was held in 1951 and the gaol was in use until 1866.
The Corporation of Romney Marsh, who are resonsible for New Hall, are very happy to have visitors, especially groups, but the visit must be by prior appointment - call 07795 448035.