St Nicholas Church, New Romney
St. Nicholas Church is the sole survivor of four medieval churches in the ancient town of New Romney, one of the original five Cinque Ports.
Built in the mid 12th century, the nave retains its original low Norman arcades with alternating round and octagonal Caen stone piers. By contrast, the grand 14th century east end is spacious and light with tall, slim piers of Kentish rag stone. The West Door is now well below ground level due to the shingle and mud deposited in the town by the great storm of 1287.