Italianate Glasshouse and Tea Garden
* Now Open *
The Italianate Glasshouse, a Grade II* Listed historic monument, was erected in the grounds of East Cliff Lodge, Sir Moses Montefiore's 22 acre estate in 1832. Sir Moses, a British financier and former Sheriff of London, bought the magnificent structure from another impressive house, Bretton Hall in Yorkshire, after seeing it in an auction catalogue.
The grounds of the house, now known as King George VI Memorial Park, were eventually taken over by Ramsgate Borough Council after the house was demolished in 1953. Sadly neglected in the past, the Glasshouse was restored in 2005.
A recent addition has been the Tea Garden. Open on fine days during the summer months, visitors are able to relax and sample a delicious cream tea, while enjoying the tranquil and peaceful surroundings.
Access is via King George VI Memorial Park, via a level footpath and across grass; there are some slopes and uneven ground towards the entrance of Glasshouse.
The Glasshouse interior is not wheelchair-accessible, but the surrounding gardens and café area are. Assistance Dogs allowed.
The nearest public accessible (RADAR) toilets are in King George VI Memorial Park, along the cliff-side.
The nearest parking is along the roads adjacent to the park- Dumpton Park Drive, Montefiore Avenue, Avebury Avenue and Wickham Avenue.
Glasshouse open weekdays during late spring and summer.
Tea Garden open weekends from Easter.
Days extended during summer.
Outside seating so weather permitting.
Dogs on lead welcome.
Guide Dogs, Hearing Dogs and Registered Assistance Dogs welcome
Restaurant / Cafe / Tea shop
King George VI Memorial Park, Montefiore Avenue