Come and spend an enjoyable day out at one of the largest smock mills in the South of England
The Windmill is a Grade II* listed building, built in 1869 and remained a working mill until the 1950s when it was purchased as a private dwelling. In 1991 when the structure had deteriorated, Ashford Borough Council purchased it and undertook a restoration. In 2002 the Mill was leased by Willesborough Windmill Trust Ltd who are now responsible for its upkeep. The Friend of Willesborough Windmill have now fully restored it back to working order.
All the original machinery has now been restored and is now back grinding corn by the wind or by the restored single cylinder 14hp Hornsby engine.
Visitors are taken on guided tours of the whole mill, explaining how the machinery works, how corn is ground to make flour and how the Miller lived, visiting the Millers Cottage where the Kitchen and Parlour show many items used in Victorian times.
We re-open on Saturday 1st April, 2017 and look forward to seeing you.
Groups: By arrangement