Theatre Royal Margate
Commended Pride in Thanet Tourism Award 'Indoor Leisure Employee of the Year' 2015
Highly Commended Pride in Thanet Tourism Award 'Indoor Leisure Employee of the Year' 2013
The Theatre Royal Margate Grade II* dates from 1787 and was radically altered in 1874 by Jethro T. Robinson (father-in-law of Frank Matcham, the famous and prolific theatre architect who along with his two protégés are responsible for building more than 200 theatres before 1915).
Sited at the north east corner of Hawley Square, was part of the planned expansion of the small town and port of Margate during the mid Georgian period. It was built to vie as a facility for the entertainment of the upper classes.
As well as welcoming some of the greatest acting 'stars' of the Victorian era, the theatre was the site of the first drama school in the country, the School of Acting opened by Sarah Thorne in 1885.
Buggy, Club and Trolley Hire
Locally produced food